Removing trees in the city
If you need to remove a tree in the city do not even think of taking a saw and cutting it down by yourself.
It can hurt anyone standing near, you run a risk to damage someone’s property.
A tree must be sewed down in parts by a professional industrial climber with certificate and appropriate arborist equipment for tree removal.
Also you need a tree removal permit. Permit requests may be denied if there is not adequate justification for removal of the tree.
The permit is considered if:
• The tree’s weak wood that can become a problem.
• The city arborist considers the continual weak woods of the tree will present major maintenance problems in the future.
• The trunk of a tree is deemed potentially hazardous to people or property.
• Overhanging branches of the tree cannot be removed without ruining the structure of the tree or causing hazard.
• More than 30 per cent of the crown of the tree is dead or is infected by disease
The tree removal permits are not issued if:
• Leaf or fruit drop/litter
• Too much shade
• Neighbour request for removal
• Driveway and sidewalk damage
• Fence lifting
• Root interference to your lawn
Also, a tree removal permit may include conditions calling for replacement trees to be planted.
If the tree is already dead it can be removed without a permit. Property owners must have a professional arborist confirm the tree’s condition, and notify the state before the tree is removed.
The cost and the requirements are given by a three removal service in your city after the tree removal permit is receipted.